Saturday, June 1, 2013

No silent tears...

What causes a person to reach out to help another, when they themselves are sad?   I see the pain in the people who post on my page and I hurt for them.  I seriously wish that I could take hurt from so many so that they don't have to feel that kind of pain.  No one, not a single soul should have to feel the pain of losing a child.  If you have not experienced it, there really are no words to explain.  How have women (and men) who've had such losses, not spoken up about it all before?  Why do they remain silent? 

I cannot remain silent.  There is no word for a parent who has lost a child in the English language, because no one wants to talk about it.  But Gabbie was born.  She lived within me.  There were already dreams for her, and love for her.  I love her still, I always will.  How can I not talk about her, and think about her and cry about her?  The pain of holding a loved one who has passed is very real and deep.  Crying over their coffin at a funeral, holding their cool hand and weeping, these are things that never leave our memory of touch.  Imagine doing the same with a child: a small, tiny little face whose eyes will never open.  Holding a still baby, is like holding a lifetime of love that will never be given.  That love becomes so heavy to carry until we become accustomed to its weight. Perhaps when we cry it is to make room for the love that we still have inside, that will never be allowed to show.  So for babies, and children, it only makes sense that we might cry harder, and longer, forever.  I read somewhere that mothers keep a part of the DNA of their child within them forever.  If that is so, then physically she will always be with me.  I have come to accept that she is always with me regardless.  I know that she is there, though I always look for her.  I hope I'll never stop seeing signs. 

I know I ramble.  It is late and I am tired.  But I miss her.  So terribly.  It has been a year and a month plus.  Someday maybe I will learn to dance in the rain, but for now, I still walk in it because it covers up the tears....



No comments:

Post a Comment