Monday, May 21, 2012

No control


                Perhaps the problem for me is the lack of control.  You live your whole life thinking that you are making decisions and choices that set your life rolling down a specific path.  Ultimately, however, you have no control.  I have no control.  We decided we wanted to have another baby.  Planned out how things would be tight with daycare expenses being greater and life being just a little more hectic.  We were okay with it.  Wanted the heartache and joy of seeing another little person that was a perfect makeup of us interacting with the girls and making our lives just that much richer.  We thought, we planned, I grew. 
                No matter how much we planned and controlled, we had none.  It was all a deception of sorts.  He said yes you can plan, yes you can make choices, yes you can feel that you are the maker of your destiny, but I make the ultimate decision, and that decision is that you will not have another baby right now.  He gave no reasons.  And I must live off faith. 
                The weeks have spun so far out of control that I am dizzy, exhausted and out of sorts, lost. I became  victim to circumstance and my world starting spinning on April 2 with a car accident, and an overnight stay in the hospital, concerns about the baby and me, then stress about the car. April 25th was the worst day ever in my life.  “Is she okay?” was followed by the eternally long 2 seconds before the “no, I’m sorry” that crushed my heart in its finality. I was dependent on an answer that I had no control over and couldn’t have seen coming at me had I had a telescope; so far from outer space, it flew at us like a not-so-mini Armageddon and rocked me to my soul. April 27th meant telling my 8 year old daughter that there’d be no baby coming home and not having a reason as to why.  May 1st I woke to my alarm set weeks before and forgotten about to get me moving for my scheduled c-section to birth my baby girl that would never be.  May 2nd, funeral, knelt down in front of her little urn I crumbled.  Babies shouldn’t go to heaven before their parents.  Babies shouldn’t be your guardian angel. Babies shouldn’t sleep forever.  Babies, babies shouldn’t leave too soon.  More finality, less control.  May 8th, a due date that was controlled and then snatched away again.  A minute, an hour, a day, breathe in, she’s gone.  A day, a week, two weeks, three, still gone, hold that breath, feel it in your lungs.  Wednesday I will have to mark the days by a month and more.  Still she’s gone.  Still I hurt.  Forever? It is likely.  Less? Probably.  I cry less already but only on the outside, only for the world.  Inside it’s still broken, that part of my heart that had been prepared for her, opened for her is now dark and sad and lonely.  And I have no control over when it’ll feel better. 
                He controls; I must have faith. He heals? I must have faith.  Faith makes me angry and yet it's all I have to create hope with.  I have no control.  

No comments:

Post a Comment