Thursday, June 21, 2012

sick over it...


I wrote my blog yesterday and then I couldn’t sleep.  The butterflies inside were back again.  Up until yesterday I had never considered it.  I never wondered.  It never even crossed my mind.  Perhaps I was just so overwhelmed and now that time has passed I can think more clearly.  I’ve read about abortions, to educate myself, to be able to understand how and why, and just because I’m female and I think that it’s important.  At 20 weeks a fetus has the ability to feel, to hurt, to acknowledge pain in so much as a baby can acknowledge anything.  Had she been born and gotten pinched, or the shock of the cold air outside my womb been too much to bear she’d have cried, she’d have voiced her pain. That knowledge is what kept my eyes from closing last night except to blink back tears.  For hours my mind fought sleep.  All I could think about was that Gabbie was 38 weeks in gestation.  She was 38 weeks and could have felt pain.  I had imagined, as far as wounded mind can imagine such a thing, that she had softly closed her eyes and quietly slipped away in her sleep, tucked up warm where all babies are safest.    Up until now I had thought she would have passed easily up to Gramps, and that Angels would have held her close.  Now, I don’t know if her passing would have been easy.  And it hurts to think.  There is nowhere in the world that a baby can be closer to her mother than within her.  Yet even that could not have saved her from her pain.  Did she have pain?  I’m not asking the question because I want to hurt too.  I’m asking because now that the question is swimming around my head and before my eyes I want to know the answer.  Is there an answer? 
                All this time I was worried about me, and that she was gone, and that my dreams were shattered by her leaving me, how I was going to raise her sisters without her, how I was going to make sure that Derek knew I loved him every day even though I hurt.  How selfish.  How could I not have considered that my tiny baby with the bow lips, chubby cheeks, and full head of hair, may have suffered?
                The cord had been wrapped around her neck four times.  I know that technically she doesn’t breathe but her lungs would have filled with fluid and expelled it to practice breathing.  Her head would have needed the blood flow that would have been interrupted by the tightening cord.  There is no way to know how long her cord had been wrapped. Her heart rate had always been good.   Am I to believe she did not hurt?  Am I to believe that she wouldn’t have fought?  She moved so much inside me, all night, all day, sometimes violent bouts of kicks and hits, could that have been her fighting to save her life?  Could that have been her trying to get unwound and only making it worse?
                I used to joke about how big I got.  My babies had a mansion, in comparison to other women, that was huge, with plenty of room for comfort.  Each time I had a c-section the fluid was way more than the doctors had accounted for.  The extra fluid that my body produced of its own accord had provided them ample amounts of room to grow, much to my chagrin and collection of ill-fitting clothing.  I had come to accept my largeness as a good thing for her.  But now, I hate my body for producing so much fluid.  Perhaps if it had not, she would not have had the room to move so much, she would not have had the room to turn so many times.  Perhaps her mansion would not have killed her. 
                These are thoughts that have crossed my mind.  It doesn’t mean I blame myself.  I know I could not have known.  There is not a window to my insides. I could not wipe away fog and see the beautiful baby within.  I could not have known.  But God,… now that the thought has crossed my mind, how can I convince myself that my tiny defenseless baby I had lovingly conceived, grew, talked to, named, loved, … How can I convince myself that my Gabraella did not suffer a terrible strangling death right inside me and I did not know?  I’m sick over it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment