Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Capacities, flesh wounds and a 6 month angel-versaries


Is it getting better?  Is it getting better?  Some days my answer is yes, other days my answer is no.   I want it to be better, it takes stamina to grieve.  It takes stamina to cry forever.  My husband wanted to watch a show the other day that was about a full-size person and a little person going in to have a sonogram in which they’d be able to tell if the baby would be small.  He asked me if it was okay I said yes but I’m glad he changed the channel.  My best friend invited me her baby shower, not to be insensitive but because I’m her best friend and she’d want me there if I could make it.  I don’t know if I can make it.  I mean, I might be able to make it through the shower, but I don’t know about the rest of the day.  She said she understands and I know she does.  I just wish it weren’t even an issue.  But it is.  My good friend at work posted a picture of her new baby nephew.  I cried.  I want a new baby too.  All I could do was post "<3".  I had no words.  What words are there?  I could congratulate.  I could and I want to, but I can’t find the words.  It takes stamina to see references to babies everywhere when they all remind me of a baby that I never got to bring home.  I still have all of her things, in the closet and in storage.  I don’t know what to do with them, I can't throw them away or sell them, maybe someday we’ll try again, when the world provides me the opportunity to, I guess.  Maybe.
In 2 days Gabbie would have been 6 months.  In 2 days I’ll be half way through a year of grieving.  In 2 days I will have no more insight than I do now.  I will have found no less heartache.  It will always be there.  I see it in the posts online, I see it in the posts in the private group where strangers and friends poor out their stories of heartache and sadness.  I see it in every grief website and every grief study.  The heartache will always be there; I will always think of her and miss her.  How does life balance those 38 weeks of knowing she was there, the 6 months of feeling her move within me, and the few hours I was given to hold her with a lifetime of sadness and countless tears at the thought of her? The love I had for her outweighs time.  In that love I have found a beauty so brilliant that it’s painful, and so sad that it’s awe inspiring.  If we each could love so much in our lives we would know the meaning of heaven for just a moment, and hell forever when it is stolen from us.  Some may know physical torture, some may know physical pain, but there is no pain like the soulful torture of the mother that will never hold her child again.  And sometimes I wish I could un-know because ignorance truly was bliss.  But to un-know would mean to never understand the capacity I have for love; to un-know would mean I am not made the wiser for the capacity I have to be hurt.  I had once thought I could not hurt more; parents divorced at 6 years old, taken advantage of at 17, divorced when I was 23.  I was wrong.  Those were minor scratches, flesh wounds if you will, some slightly deeper than others; learning experiences each, but soul strengthening.  Those have only given me a scale to which I can measure the pain of now.  I have lived through those, I’ll live through this, but this pain is like none I’ve experienced.  It is marring, deep, life altering, personality and outlook changing.  It is a paradox of sorts: It is like she is piercing light that flashed before my eyes and has produced a dark orb with rings of light around it that floats about my vision; everywhere I focus she is there, when I glance from the corner of my eye, she is quick to follow and yet she is not really there at all. She is everywhere, the light that blinds me and the orb that follows my vision.
Happy 6 month angel-versary sweet baby Gabbie.  Thank you for showing me the capacity I have to love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment