Friday, October 26, 2012

Holidays, exhaustion and Self-depreciation



I decorated for fall.  The holidays are coming (I say that with a grimace in my heart and a slight frown.)  I preferred being stuck in the spring.  At least then there were no holidays coming to notice. But a year is passing with or without me, and the holidays are on the way. I know I have to make them pleasant and fun for the girls.  It feels like work this year.  I put up some fall garland, lights and candles.  I put pumpkins in the girls’ bathroom: three jack-o-lantern votive candle holders.  According the girls, they are the two of them, and Gabbie.  They know that she is here.  She is a part of everything they do.  Today, D went to lunch with Gracie.  When they heard a baby cry, she asked if it was Gabbie.  Gabbie never cried.  We, however do for her, almost daily.  The comment made D notice her absence.  It’s hard for both of us.  He doesn’t comment often, but I know it’s true. 
I think I’ll buy a special candle, and light it just for her.  I won’t make a big deal about, but when the thought of her is really with me, I’ll light it just for her.  As for the Christmas tree (I’d like to scrap it altogether, but the not-so-jolly fat man needs to put the Christmas presents for two girlies who had a rough year somewhere), I think I’ll buy an ornament for Gabbie.  Something so she is with us.  I don’t know.  How does a mother honor her dead baby for that baby’s living sisters and daddy when Christmas should be a joyous time?  Christmas: a day to celebrate the birth of a quite notorious baby. My baby might not be notorious but she deserves to be with us during the holidays as much as He does.  I’m sorry if I’m not very faith driven tonight. 
I know what I do feel like though; I feel like a blubbery blimp.  The worst part about the weight is I KNOW it wouldn’t be there if I hadn’t had Gabbie.  And though I don’t HAVE Gabbie, I do have fat.  Fatty fat fat.  I’m self-depreciating right now and I don’t care what you think.  Every time I exercise a little sneaky nagging voice reminds me why I’m working so hard.  “Gotta work off the baby fat.”  “Gotta feel good about yourself again.”  “The fat isn’t going to go away on its own.” “You don’t want people to ask you if you’re pregnant do you?”  That stupid voice is pretty harsh inside my head.  But the sad part of me just wants to sleep.  Sleeping doesn’t promote skinniness and I feel huge and fat and sorry for myself.  Whatever even Superman had Kryptonite and I am not a superhero.  It’s Friday after an incredibly long week, and the day after the six month angel-versary of losing my baby and I feel fat and hideous and *sigh… I need sleep.  Maybe that will make life seem less haggard, and me less jaded at myself.  It doesn’t help that I’ve been sick the last few days.  I’ve been so exhausted I even needed to nap on my lunch today and then again when I got home.  Maybe it’s the medicine, the vertigo virus or maybe I’m just tired of… of living sad… forever sad and missing her and, like I said grief takes stamina that I currently lack today.  It’s hard to imagine that for the rest of my life a piece of the pie of my life will be missing.  Even if I added a new baby and that baby lived, my pie would get bigger but a “Gabbie” piece will forever be missing.  I will always have a broken heart.  No matter how many children I have or how much mending, gluing, and taping that could be done to my heart, it will always be broken. 
                Now that I’m even sick of my pathetic nature…. I have to find a dress that I can squeeze my fat self into for a wedding tomorrow.  Maybe tomorrow I’ll have a skinny day.  There’s always tomorrow. For most people, except for stillborn babies.   (And for once I typed a blog without a tear.  Maybe I’m even too tired to cry. But I did cry earlier... just because.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment