Thursday, June 18, 2015

Father's Day champion

I don't have much to give.  I don't have money to buy a gift or even an idea of what I could get him if I had money to spend.  What I do have is words. And love. 

When I met him he was a bachelor without children. I had S. She was almost 2; she's 11 now.  When he finally came into S's life it was a transition that he eased into. I will not say it was flawless but he was beyond good with her.  He assumed a role with her that many fail at, and when he became a steady person in our lives we both gained something that cannot be replaced.

Then he and I got married and had G-- daddy's girl.  He never flinched adding one more to our family only 9 months and a day after we got married. She became his cuddle monster, he had a knack at putting her to sleep when I could not. Crawling into bed on his side for a few minutes of sleep in the morning or when she had a nightmare became expected of her and he welcomed it, and welcomes it still. 

He makes sure to make the time to take the two to sporting events, practices and rehearsals. He spends hours at recitals and cheers them on. He is their champion.

And then we had Gabbie.  He became the father of an angel too. And he became our everything when I was nothing but a puddle in bed, he made sure we still rolled on while I was lost.  He is our champion.

Then we found out we were having Evie and he became her champion before he ever knew her. He rallied her when she was quiet inside. He waited to see her rolling inside my belly. And the nearer it got to meeting her he worried silently, staying strong for me. And then she came and again he was my strength taking care of her when I could not, taking care of me when I could not.

And now, that I am so tired, and hurting with this endometriosis which is sometimes more physically painful than anything I know, he does what needs to be done. He does it his way, and it works and I can't and wouldn't complain, because it's more than I can do sometimes. Sure you could say, "it's what he's supposed to do he's a father and a spouse" but not every man can nor would.   Many marriages have ended after a loss like ours. But he holds strong and he does it without complaint--- all of it: the stepfather to a tween, the father to two beautiful girls of his own,  the father of an angel,  the man who takes care of me. I don't know what I'd do without him. Thank you Babe, for being the best father to my children and partner I could ever imagine and hope for.

No comments:

Post a Comment